Thursday, March 18, 2010

As a mother of 3 with several part-time jobs, I often despair of ever catching up with housework. In fact, one of the biggest challenges of motherhood is learning not to sink into despair at the endless nature of laundry, cooking and dishes. Luckily for me, I enjoy cooking, I think I'd go crazy if I didn't. I've been reading and thinking about Karen Maezen Miller's book, Momma Zen, and following her blog, Cheerio Road. She suggests that the housework is practice, is in and of itself a spiritual path. Can you be present while doing the laundry, while washing every dish? It's a journey, and meanwhile my 5 year old says "Mom, you haven't even gotten the bikes out. Come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Valentine Week

An artist making one valentine per week for the Artists' Valentine fundraiser in Groton, MA, raising money for a no strings attached grant for artists. And in the meantime, musing about life, art, music, yoga, & whatnot.